Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte will remain in International Criminal Court custody after appeals judges on Friday dismissed a request to free him on medical grounds.
Duterte, now in his 80s, is charged with crimes against humanity for allegedly directing or enabling dozens of extrajudicial killings linked to his violent anti-drug campaign — both during his years as mayor of Davao City and later as president, reports UNB citing AP.
Judge Luz del Carmen Ibáñez Carranza said Duterte’s legal team did not demonstrate that an earlier ruling refusing his release was flawed. Duterte was not present in court for the decision.
Defense lawyer Nick Kaufman said the team intends to renew its request after a medical evaluation expected next month. Attorneys argue Duterte is physically weak and cognitively impaired to the point that he cannot effectively assist in his own defense. A pretrial hearing was delayed in September pending a full medical assessment.
Judges previously ruled that Duterte must stay in custody, concluding he might not return for trial and could potentially intimidate witnesses if released. Court documents allege he authorized or condoned “violent acts including murder” against suspected drug offenders from November 2011 to March 2019, when the Philippines’ withdrawal from the ICC took effect.
Estimates of fatalities during Duterte’s presidency vary widely: national police cite more than 6,000 deaths, while rights groups claim as many as 30,000. His arrest in March was welcomed by families of victims.
The defense sought his transfer to another ICC member state during proceedings, but appeals judges upheld the lower chamber’s finding that risks posed by his release could not be reduced through such arrangements.
Judges noted earlier that a country cannot use withdrawal from the Rome Statute to shield individuals from accountability for crimes already under review. Duterte’s legal team is also challenging that ruling.
The Philippine government acknowledged Friday’s decision, with presidential Communications Secretary Claire Castro saying the administration respects the court’s judgment. The Duterte family said they accepted the ruling “with peaceful hearts” and would continue to support the former leader.



