BNP Chairperson’s adviser and Senior Supreme Court Lawyer Fazlur Rahman has been ordered to appear in person before the International Crimes Tribunal to explain allegations of contempt of court for making disparaging remarks about the tribunal.
He has been asked to appear with his academic certificates and Bar Council certificate. The tribunal has fixed December 8 for the next hearing.
Following a hearing on the prosecution’s petition, the order was issued on Sunday by a two-member judicial panel of Tribunal-1, headed by Chairman Justice Md Golam Mortuza Mojumdar. The other member is retired District and Sessions judge Md Mohitul Haque Enam Chowdhury.
Prosecutor Mizanul Islam argued on behalf of the prosecution, assisted by Prosecutor Gazi MH Tamim.
Earlier, on Wednesday, the prosecution raised a contempt of court allegation against Fazlur Rahman for making derogatory remarks about the International Crimes Tribunal. The allegation was placed before a single bench of Tribunal-1, headed by retired District and Sessions Judge Md Mohitul Haque Enam Chowdhury. The tribunal set Sunday for the hearing.
On that day, Prosecutors Gazi MH Tamim and Mizanul Islam represented the prosecution.
During the hearing, the prosecution stated that on November 23, senior lawyer Fazlur Rahman took part as a guest on a talk show on a private television channel, where he made various comments regarding the tribunal’s proceedings—remarks that constituted contempt of court.
The tribunal asked if Fazlur Rahman had any additional identity. Prosecutor Tamim responded that he is a BNP chairperson’s adviser and also an MP candidate in the upcoming national election. He also mentioned that Fazlur Rahman’s BNP position had previously been suspended for making similar comments regarding the July Revolution. Prosecutor Tamim then read out the legal provisions under which the contempt allegation was made.
At that point, the tribunal played the video clip from the private TV channel Channel 24, where Fazlur Rahman made the remarks about the tribunal. The tribunal then fixed a new date to continue the hearing.
Speaking to journalists afterward, Prosecutor Mizanul Islam said: “We have brought a contempt of court allegation against Fazlur Rahman. He stated on the talk show that he does not accept the tribunal’s judgments—something he has claimed from the beginning. He even said that Sheikh Hasina cannot be tried here. He questioned all the judgments of the current tribunal, showing disregard and disrespect. He also raised questions about the prosecution. His comments amount to insulting the court and the judges.”



